Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sub-Gourmet Homophobia















Have you ever run across a word or phrase that you have grown up using or hearing, and have become so accustomed to that you never realized how messed up it is?

Happened to me the other day. I was talking about how awesome Dairy Queen is, and how living in the city, they are hard to find (this may be a good thing for preserving my idealistic memories of their fare). Anyways, the conversation turned to favorite Dairy Queen offerings, at which point I let loose this lovely quote:

"Oh my god, I love their Dude sandwiches."

Right, I know? Pretty Ewww.

I never realized, in my years of eating Dude sandwiches, how gay it sounds. (For those of the uninitiated masses - yankees most likely - the Dude is Dairy Queen's chicken fried steak sandwich. And it is fantastic in a gross comfort food kind of way.)

So maybe Dairy Queen should get with the times (funny, I know) and change the name of their sandwich to something less off-putting. Then again, maybe they are marketing the Dude to the middle-aged woman crowd. Yum.

1 comment:

dave said...

o, the good old days. i remember gobbling up several consecutive dudes back in the day. and then we'd go over to the DQ for dinner.

also, ask joe "jookabox" davis about making his coworker eat a Cricket Blizzard that time.